June is Brain Health Month! It is time to pay attention to how we are treating our brain. As we age, we may lose some cognitive function. Remember–An active brain is a healthy brain. We can play a big role in our brain’s health by doing these six things to improve cognitive function in our every day lives. Below are six things to improve cognitive function in our everyday lives.
- If you have noticed that your communication has slowed down. You may forget words or find that you are not able to keep up with conversations. Be sure to talk to your doctor on your yearly visits so that you can work together to make any adjustments as early as possible. Doing these six things will improve cognitive function in everyday life.
- You should get between 7 and 9 hours of sleep each night. You may be able to go on less, but it does not mean that you should. Your brain needs time to rest and keep the neural pathways running so that your attention and working memory remain in order.
- Adopt a nutrient rich diet with foods that include blueberries, fish, green vegetables, whole grains, nuts, eggs, protein, dark chocolate and green tea. Avoid fried and processed foods and of course, limit sweets.
- The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services recommends that adults get between 150 and 300 minutes, or 2.5-5 hours, of exercises each week. There are plenty of on line apps or platforms that are free, such as You Tube. Glo is another physical and mental health wellness app.
- Adopt a growth mindset. What is a growth mindset? A growth mindset requires you to engage in new activities where your mind can learn, grow, and expand. Learn a new skill or hobby. Take a class and learn a new language. Just be sure to remain active and participate in a social group setting and limit alone time. It is always good to get together with friends, old and new! Think positively and act positively and you will see a difference in your outlook. Take a class with a friend on meditation to help your mind focus and practice mindfulness and gratitude exercises. There are also plenty of apps you can use that will introduce you to the practice of meditation.
- Talk with your Naturopathic Doctor about taking supplements that are believed to help support brain function and cognitive ability. People react differently to supplements, so do be sure to consult your doctor.
In sum, maintaining brain health does have to take any more time out of your day. If you consistently do six things to improve cognitive function in our everyday lives, you will find it easier and easier and be on the path to success. Live your best life with exercise, proper diet, adequate sleep, a health social network and a positive attitude and you are on your way.